Madonna causes a scandal? Can it be?!

[ Follow-ups ] [ Post Follow-up ] [ The Henna Page Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Kenzi on January 05, 2000 at 23:57:01:

I just ran across this article when searching for henna stuff. Old,
old news, but I thought it was interesting that Hindu groups were
offended by the henna. Seems like old attitudes are clashing with
new ones....also an old story, but this time involving henna. I am
sure that CCJ could tell them a thing or two about henna-painted
women gyrating suggestively.

Here's the article:

Date: Tue, 15 Sep 1998 10:59:22 EDT
From: SWPGOAT@aol.com
Subject: Madonna's Bad Karma-NY Daily News

Madonna fans,

This article was taken from today's Daily News.
Take care,
Steve

Madonna's Bad Karma
Stirs Hindu Hullabaloo

Madonna fended off new charges of religious blasphemy yesterday.

The Material Mom, who has riled the Catholic Church almost as often
as the
Pope has uttered the Lord's Prayer, now has offended a Hindu group.

The World Vaishnava Association wants the singer to apologize for
what it sees
as her sacrilegious performance on last week's MTV Video Awards. The
group
issued a statement from its U.S. base in Sacramento this weekend
condemning
her for wearing henna marriage markings, which represent purity, while
"gyrating in a sexually suggestive manner" and wearing "clothing
through which
her nipples were clearly visible."

"The essence of purity and divinity is nonjudgment. They should
practice what
they preach. If they're so pure, why are they watching MTV?" Madonna
said
through her publicist Liz Rosenberg, who described the yoga-
practicing singer
as "very surprised" by the criticism.

"She certainly had no intention of insulting anyone. On the other
hand, I
personally don't see that an apology is in order," Rosenberg said. "I
don't
think this organization is necessarily speaking for an entire
community. A
number of Indian magazines have requested photos of her because they
thought
she looked so beautiful."

"She doesn't know why they're picking on her," added Rosenberg, who
noted that
Gwen Stefani, lead singer of No Doubt, also wears the henna
symbols. "Why
don't they pick on Gwen Stefani?"