Dyeing wool with henna

[ Follow-ups ] [ Post Follow-up ] [ The Henna Page Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Kenzi on July 27, 2000 at 21:09:58:

I got the following from a Fiber Art newsletter and thought it might be of interest to you all:

>DYEING
>
>Pathan Dyeing
>by
>Mannam
>
>Shades of RUST with HENNA
>

> To dye rust with HENNA
> 1 kg Woollen yarn
> 0.5 kg powdered henna leaves
> tin chloride
> 100g cream of tartar
> 200g glauber's salt
>
> Mix the henna thoroughly in enough hot water to make a thin paste
> Mordant the yarn with 5% tin chloride.
>
> Dissolve the henna paste in enough hot water to make the dye-bath
> Add the damp, mordanted yarn to the dye bath
> Simmer for about three quarters of an hour.
> Add the cream of tartar and glauber's salt to the dye bath
> Simmer for half an hour.
>
> Allow to cool.
>
> Remove the yarn and rinse thoroughly in warm water.
> Hang to dry in the shade
> You can use the remaining dye-bath to make lighter shades
>
> Vegetal dyeing is almost an art form perhaps because of the many
>variables
> involved - even plants from the same geographical area, gathered at
> different times can produce varying shades due to seasonal changes. So
>if
> uniformity of shade is important do gather enough to meet the full
>needs
> of your project.
>
>Mannam Carpets U-171/2 Defence, Lahore, Pakistan. Ph: 92 42 5728194
>
>http://www.brain.net.pk/~mannam/index.html

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow-ups ] [ Post Follow-up ] [ The Henna Page Forum ] [ FAQ ]