the kree kone rant

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Henna Page Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by anne beltestad on October 24, 2002 at 02:38:25:

there seems to be a lot of interest in the type of henna tool I use these days, so I figured I'd post a description of how I do it here.

Save your hands, wrists, and 1/2 jacquard-worths of henna! Once you've tried Kree Kones, you'll never go back!

MailBox: Read Mail

Date: Fri, 10 May 2002 14:37:14 -0400
From: "Anne" <siegrun@lycos.com> [add to address book] [add to protection list]
Subject: Re: Henna tool?
To: "jlyon" <jlyon@vt.edu>
Reply To: siegrun@lycos.com

  Text Size:

What is a Kree Kone?

It's a cake decorating tip in a sturdy plastic bag. i started out
with jaquard bottles, but those are hard to fill, hurt your hand,
and don't hold much henna, and you tend to waste the last bits of
paste. To me cones are impossible, carrot bags nearly so, and syringes
ok but messy and can tend to frighten customers. So, after trying
all these (and toothpics and paintbrushes) I found the j-bottle
(I think that's what you're using) to be ok. Lots of henna artists
use them and say they get used to the hand pain.
Then I met Kree of Gilded Lilies in Seattle and she introduced me
to her invention.

What is it?

Tiny metal cake decorating tips (001 and nearby
sizes, generally Korean or English-made, *and* come in different
sizes, shapes, bands,etc.) packing tape, and a nice plastic cake
decorating cone (cone-shaped plastic bag) - should be the sturdier kind but not so much so
that it bends. Basically what you do is reinforce the bag's seam(s)
with strips of tape, cut a hole in the end of the bag, drop the tip in, then using minimal tape and allowing *NO* gaps seal the two together. it's not easy. I only *just* got it flawless after years of work.

How do you use it?

So you can fill this masterpiece with a whole night's worth of henna (or a whole wedding, or a whole ______) and go to town! Close the open end with a twist-tie, the foil kind, wrapped twice around making sure it's very tight and right up against the surface of the henna. The idea is that the pressure helps let the henna flow. Squeeze from the *back* of the cone and if you get a clog, you can either stick a needle (carefully) into the end of the metal tip or open up the whole affair and stir.
I guarantee that although this tool is hard to make it is the BEST henna tool there is. (I can say that because I didn't invent it!) As far as I know, ther are no jacquard bottles which are softer
or easier to fill. I tried a ketchup bottle once with horrible results, syringes, and, in those primordial days, toothpicks, paintbrushes, needles...

I hope this helps enlighten...

Follow Ups

Post Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Optional link URL:
Link title:
Optional image URL:

[Home] [How] [Why] [What] [Where] [FAQ] [Forum] [Journal]

Served by ruboard 2.1.1; Copyright © 1998 by Andrew Maltsev.