encylopedia & dictionary descriptions

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Henna Page Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Willowhawk on May 22, 2001 at 00:41:26:

: the word tattoo does not mean the repetitive motion of needles it
: means to mark the skin with patterns. Which ever way you do this
: comes within this context. So we are all tattooists. Henna is a
: permanent dye however the epidermis is not therefore it does not
: pattern does not last.

Well, not to keep getting off on the wrong foot with you Mark...I
really don't, but I decided to go look up 'Tattoo' and 'Henna' in my
encyclopedias. Then I looked it up online at Encarta and double
checked Websters online dictionary. My books and Encarta were very
similar (did Encarta, MS purchase Funk and Wagnalls by chance?), so
I'll cut and paste from Encarta online regarding Tattoo, because the
henna subject is pretty much covered here at this forum:)

Encarta:
>TATTOO: Tattooing, method of decorating the skin by inserting
>colored substances under the surface. The skin is punctured with a
>sharp instrument, which now is usually an electric needle.

>In many parts of the world tribal people use tattooing and
>scarification to indicate social rank and affiliation or as a sign
>of mourning. Scarification involves slashing the skin and
>introducing irritants into the wounds, which, when healed, leave
>pronounced scars.

Miriam-Websters:
2)tattoo (verb)
transitive senses : to beat or rap rhythmically on : drum on
intransitive senses : to give a series of rhythmic taps

3)tattoo (transitive verb)
1 : to mark or color (the skin) with tattoos
2 : to mark the skin with (a tattoo) <tattooed a flag on his chest>

4)tattoo (noun)
1 : the act of tattooing : the fact of being tattooed
2 : an indelible mark or figure fixed upon the body by insertion of
pigment under the skin or by production of scars

So, while we can debate the usage of the word 'Tattoo', for example
when using the first description of the NOUN in conjunction with the
first description of the TRANSITIVE VERB. But when that noun is
compared to the VERB descriptions it still is a repetetive tapping,
and marking of the skin. And by both sources the color is placed
under the skin by a sharp implement, and it seems that it's not
related to the Mehendi process because as you know the color source
is applied topically.
Blessings,
Willowhawk
(who found this quite fascinating)

Follow Ups

Post Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Optional link URL:
Link title:
Optional image URL:

Served by ruboard 2.1.1; Copyright © 1998 by Andrew Maltsev.